- I don't think change is possible.
- I've had these symptoms so long, they must be permanent.
- Therapy can only take me so far.
- Therapy hasn't fixed it before, so it can't.
- I am my diagnosis.
- If I'm not sick/mentally ill/in pain, who am I?
These statements are all arguable because GOOD therapy, the right techniques and therapist for an individual can overcome all of that.
I love proving these statements false! I love when a client comes in who has tried several different types of therapy with a variety of therapists and then discovers me, we're a good fit, and we work together to clear up the issue. They get better and they are both delighted and surprised. This is my favorite feeling.
Trauma is an inappropriately strong association is built between the activating stimulus and the body's response. Good therapy breaks that association, permanently, without reliving the experience.
- Every time I ____, I then ____.
- Every time I sleep, I have nightmares.
- Every time I go to that location, I have a panic attack.
- Every time I see bearded men, I get nauseous.
- Every time it thunders, I cower.
For trauma, I recommend Rapid Resolution Therapy. You can see me for that service, or find a referral in your area HERE. Call me to schedule an appointment and start getting rid of your symptoms at 954-612-9553.
Autumn Hahn is a Licensed Mental Health Counselor and Certified Clinical Hypnotherapist practicing at Clear Mind Group in Weston, Florida. Call 954-612-9553 for a consultation. Follow Autumn on Twitter, Facebook, and Google+. Sign up for the e-newsletter HERE.