Depression is a treatable and transient state of mind that is often characterized by:
- Loss of interest in things you normally enjoy
- Feeling down, depressed, or hopeless
- Thoughts of death or suicide
- Feeling worthless or guilty
- Problems falling asleep, staying asleep, waking too early or sleeping too much
- Unexplained decrease or increase in appetite, resulting in weight gain or loss within the last month.
- Trouble thinking, concentrating, remembering, and making decisions
- Extreme tiredness or lack of energy that interferes with your ability to work or take care of your daily responsibilities
- Feeling restless, unable to sit still, or abnormally slow when moving [Source: Spark People]
If you or someone you know is suffering from depression, seek help quickly as negative thoughts can have a snowball effect resulting in an avalanche feeling.
It is important to remember that someone who has been depressed and now seems to be much better may have decided on suicide as an alternative to the dark feelings and should be monitored for awhile through continuing therapy.
I give a seminar on suicide risk minimization and would be happy to speak to your group or workplace on this and other topics. For public speaking engagements, or to schedule an individual therapy session, please call 954-612-9553.
Autumn Hahn is a Licensed Mental Health Counselor and Certified Clinical Hypnotherapist specializing in short-term therapies, and practicing in South Florida with Clear Mind Group.